Saturday, December 1, 2007

Power Supply Tester

The other day I had a computer come in that appeared to have a dead motherboard. I took out their CPU and RAM and put it in my test PC. The whole system powered up and got into Windows XP with no problems so it seemed the RAM and CPU were fine. However, I was unsure whether their power supply was faulty and I didnt want to plug the PSU into my good test motherboard in case it damaged it. So I went to get my trusty multimeter to test the power supply and I couldnt find it anywhere; it seems I had lost it. So, I bought a Power Supply Tester specifically designed to test computer power supplies and I am very happy with it. Heres why: Its much quicker to test a power supply with it than testing each connection with a multimeter. Just plug in the 20/24pin power connector, the 4 pin ATX power and a 4 pin molex or sata power if you want to and away you go. The voltages show up on the LCD screen and beeps if there is a problem such as too much voltage, too little or none at all. More...

No comments: